Wednesday, June 24, 2015

BABY LUCAS: WEEK 28

Week 28 - Ben is the size of an eggplant, about 2 1/4 pounds and almost 14.5 inches long. I think his nickname should be my sweet Benny bear because this baby is just so good to me! He lets me sleep through the night, when I worry about the last time he kicked he gives me a little tap, he's given me a nice "glow" and I have had a really smooth pregnancy so far.

He has been wiggling around like crazy this week! On 6/23 I felt the first case of hiccups :)

On Wednesday, 6/24 we had our doctor's appointment. Total weight gain so far is 15 pounds. I received the Tdap shot and also found out I failed my glucose test - insert dramatic cry face. :( I was shocked to hear that I failed the test. I didn't receive a call to inform me, I have been exercising and gaining weight at a steady pace. Disappointed is an understatement because everything has been going so smoothly and I know it isn't uncommon to fail the 1 hour test. I am going to think positively and schedule the 3 hour test within the next week so we can know the results before our 30 week appointment.

My belly is measuring 29 weeks, which doesn't surprise me since I was 28.5 weeks at the appointment. It's funny that our midwife mentioned he had the stereotypical boy heartbeat, because up until our 20 week appointment she would comment that based on the heartbeat, she could have swore he was a girl! Looks like he is acting 100% boy now. :) He also kicked the midwife again while searching for his heartbeat.

We also asked/talked about a few things:
  • Tammy and our midwife both agreed that they would recommend taking the infant care course over the childbirth course. We signed up for our class today - 8/3 and 8/10 at HCGH
  •  Kay informed us that they advocate several birthing positions and have oil they massage on your bottom to help with the birthing process
  • There is never a cut off time for an epidural, they only don't recommend it if you are about to start crowning
  • They ensure the baby comes out slowly, to prevent tearing
  • Once the baby is out, he is placed immediately on my stomach. They will deliver the placenta, do all of his vitals with him on me to ensure there is plenty of skin to skin
  • They cut the umbilical cord once the cord stop pulsing to ensure all nutrients and benefits of the cord are with the baby
  • We need to call our insurance to discuss if circumcision is included, but she feels it shouldn't be a large expense
  • I can continue sleeping on my back for as long as it is comfortable for me. She says the fact that I am tilting my pelvis with a pillow wedged behind my back actually helps - my body would tell me if it wasn't comfortable


  New nursery items include a B hook for me to hang in his room and a knitted pouf to rest my feet on. I also purchased some things off our registry after returning some baby shower duplicates (the mesh crib bumper, changing pad liners, baby lotion and diaper pail refills).

The first day of week 28 fell on Father's Day! Ben is extremely lucky to have this handsome man as his papa bear. He is going to be such a natural and SO patient. I'm super appreciative to have Chris as my partner in this new journey. I think we make a pretty great team.


I designed a "baseball" style tee with LUCAS 01 DAD on the back for him to wear to the hospital. It's already been washed in dreft and is ready to be packed in our hospital bag!






The way the photos are cropped I look bigger than in person - I'll post some iPhone photos this week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment